Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Christmas Presents Unwrapped, Part 3

Part 3 will be the things I made for my step-daughter who is 7 years old. All three of her gifts were handmade. She got a sleeping bag, scarf, and doll. I already posted the sleeping bag so I won't bore you with it again but if you missed it, check it out.

I made her a pretty pink scarf with dark pink flowers on the ends to match the hat and mitten set I made for her sixth birthday. She really liked the idea that I made them just for her (who knew kids were into that?) so she wore them every time she was at our house. That was seriously her favorite present that year. Anyhow, after seeing how much she liked the hat and mittens and having her ask for a scarf (I made my son a scarf for Christmas last year), I decided that I would make her a scarf for this Christmas (I didn't want to give it to her sooner because I have a lot of trouble thinking of gifts she would like). She loved it! She wore it even when she was wearing a jacket in 45 degree weather. When she opened the package her eyes bulged and she said, "It matches my mittens and hat!"

I also made her a doll. I really hoped that she wasn't too old for dolls. I used the pattern from when Emily Martin of The Black Apple was on Martha (I should get paid for that sentence). In the instructions they said to paint on the face but that sounded a little out of my league so I hand stitched the face (my first shot at embroidery) before I finished her off. I also made her a little apron to dress her up (it gave me an excuse to use one of my favorite little buttons that I had been hoarding). My little doll turned out so cute! I think my husband had more fun taking pictures of her around the house than my step-daughter did playing with her......at least she is loved. I like the doll so much that I am going to make a boy version for my baby. I have decided that every child should have a handmade doll (they are so easy). Oh, you can't have a doll without a name, so she was named Cooking Mama (because my step-daughter played a lot of Nintendo DS while stranded with my sister-in-law in the Spokane airport) but her name was later changed to "flowers and sweetie pie."

No comments: