Monday, January 5, 2009

Christmas Presents Unwrapped, Part 2

For Part 2 I will tell you what I made for my 5 year old... a scripture case. He has had his own Book of Mormon since he started reading on his own about a year ago. He loved having his own scriptures but he wanted to have his own Bible so, for Christmas we got him his very own full set of scriptures. To go along with that I made him a messenger bag-style scripture case. He (unknowingly) picked out the fabric (red for the outside and black with polka-dots on the inside). I used nylon straps and buckles to hold it closed and it will have a nylon strap long enough to go over his shoulder (I didn't buy enough at the time and have been unable to go back because of the freak Portland snow storm, Christmas, and a trip to Nebraska). Hopefully I can get to the store tomorrow. For the clasps I found ones with reflectors, which were cheaper (by like 10 cents) than the ones without reflectors and I figured that the red reflectors would make a fun addition to the red bag. I also padded the bag with a fleecy interfacing because I don't think a 5 year old boy will be easy on it - ever. I think I am going to get a piece of black elastic and sew it to the top inside of the flap for a pencil. It turned out a little short for his scriptures but pretty good overall. It was my first and it was from scratch so I have to say I get a silver star for this one.

Best of all, he really likes it!

No comments: