Wednesday, January 28, 2009

A Project for Me!

My ironing board cover was in sad shape. I don't know how it got so bad. It had water stains and fusible interfacing on the top and the pad underneath was tearing (partly because it was free to side around and partly because it had a five year-old plucking pieces off) and it had gotten pretty flat. I really wanted a new one but I didn't want to spend $20 or more buying a new one so I found a pattern at The Purl Bee and went to work. I made a few changes to the pattern. First, I don't have pinking shears so when I made the casing for the string (I used acrylic yarn that matches my fabric) I folded the raw edge in so it would be in the casing. Second, I made a little pocket for the pointy part of my ironing board so it would be less likely to slip off when I iron sleeves that fit over the end of the board. Third, I used two layers of interfacing (the fleecy kind) and I zig-zagged them together, then I quilted the top fabric onto the interfacing rather than basting it all together first (I tried basting but had to go through and pull out the stitching because it wouldn't lay flat). I am really happy with the way it turned out! And it only cost me $10 (I had a coupon for 50% off so I splurged on the fabric because I knew I would have enough for another project).

No comments: