Friday, October 31, 2008

Beep-Beep

So, I am officially done with costumes this year. Yay! I finished the robot costume last night. I could have finished sooner but after the mad rush on Monday I needed a costume break. I decided to use all fabric instead of cardboard, which was probably not the best idea. I should have just spray painted cardboard boxes and been done with it. I used 6 layers of fabric - silver for the outside, black for the inside, 2 layers of stiff interfacing, and 2 layers of fleece batting - but it didn't hold up well. It doesn't help that my son is really skinny. I ended up adding cardboard across his shoulders to keep it from sliding down. The hat kept collapsing so I added cardboard on the back and sides to prop it up. By the end of the night it looked pretty darn good. We decorated it with circuit boards on the chest. I also had a small computer fan but it disappeared sometime yesterday afternoon. For his arms and legs I bought drier duct and cut it to fit. The legs really made the outfit.

I have to take a moment to give a shout out to Free Geek for the circuit boards. They are totally awesome. All the computer pieces ended up costing only $3. That was 4 circuit boards, an antenna, and a small fan. Due to some miscommunication the antenna didn't make it on the final costume.

No comments: