Sunday, November 2, 2008

Cloth Wipes

I made cloth wipes. I have yet to use them but they are finished. I stayed up until midnight (much to my husband's consternation) to get these bad boys done. I tried them with a binding but I didn't like how it turned out. I think the flannel was too thick and my husband brought up the fact that poop would probably get stuck under the binding. So, I decided to use a zig zag stitch. This was a very easy and quick project. First get a soft flannel fabric and cut an even number of 8-inch squares (you could also cut a piece that is 8" by 16" and fold it in half). Place the pieces right side together and baste around leaving a gap that will allow you to turn it right side out. Clip the corners and turn it right side out being sure to push out the corners. Make sure the raw edges where you turned it through are folded in and sew all around to finish. Like I said, I used a zig zag stitch but you could just top stitch if you like that look better. I had matching threads so I used different colors for variety. They look really good. Today I made a solution so, tomorrow I will get a squirt bottle and give this whole thing a go. I am really excited. I think I only used about 1.5 yards of fabric to make 15 wipes and I got my fabric on sale so it only cost about $3 for the batch. And to make this all a little bit better, if I fold them in half all of my finished wipes fit nicely in a plastic wipe box.

2 comments:

christi said...

The wipes turned out so cute! I love the fabric!

Courtney said...

I didn't realize you had a craft blog- that is great! Your wipes look fantastic. I like that you put them in the wipe box, I don't use mine as often as I should...