Thursday, April 23, 2009

Cloth Napkins


Here are some cloth napkins I made for a friend's wedding gift. I picked a main fabric that went well with the hand towels she registered for so I hope she likes them. I made them 2-ply from 100% cotton fabric based on this tutorial from the Purl Bee. To make them 2-ply (2 layers thick) but still easy to work with and durable, I stitched my two squares together (right sides together) leaving a hole for turning, turned them right side out, then used a zig-zag stitch around the edge (the same way I made my cloth wipes). Additionally, after I made the bias tape, I folded it in half lengthwise and pressed it down (to create double-fold bias tape) before pinning it on the squares - I didn't do that on the first napkin and I had to go back and redo a few spots where one side of the bias tape didn't catch.

Just an FYI - If you are going to purchase a bias tape maker, get the Clover brand. I couldn't find the right size when I was at JoAnn so I just bought the cheaper Dritz brand one. It was awful. I couldn't get it to work right at all. I tracked down the clover one and it worked beautifully. I love my bias tape maker!

3 comments:

Courtney said...

Those are so cute! I need to make napkins, maybe this summer. I have a question about the bias tape maker- doesn't it take a lot of fabric to make bias tape? It was my understanding that you had to cut diagonally so it takes a tons of fabric? I would love an explanation. Thanks

Nicole said...

The instructions say to cut on the bias but I never have and it turns out fine. It is nice if you have a long piece of fabric so you don't have to piece it together but I wouldn't stress cutting on the bias.

maryelizabeth said...

Ack. My organization skills are lacking, can you email me your mailing address?